Smart Home Innovation Contest
- Status: Closed
- Prize: $3000
- Entries Received: 270
- Winner: jcandaele
Silicon Labs and Arrow Electronics, in collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and TE Connectivity (TE), are launching a contest to spark technology innovation to inspire the next best smart home idea.
Smart home technology transforms our lives, infusing a new level of convenience, control, security and efficiency in our daily routines. This proliferation of smart home devices into everyday spaces has transformed consumers' expectations for simplicity in user experience and hardware integration.
As leading technology providers in the IoT industry, Arrow Electronics, Silicon Labs, AWS, and TE Connectivity are looking to find and support the next ground breaking smart home ideas that bring inventive and original solutions to solve the challenges consumers face in their homes. In this contest, we encourage you to submit an idea that solves old or new problems in the home.
Participants have the opportunity to win a share of $5,500 USD cash by submitting a 2+ page write up explaining their cutting-edge smart home idea and how the Silicon Labs wireless, TE sensors, and AWS IoT Core technologies will power their solution.
How to Apply:
To enter the 2020 Smart Home Innovation Contest, please submit a 2+ page write up or short presentation outlining your smart home idea and the challenge it solves. Your proposal will need to incorporate the use of sensors, wireless connectivity and the cloud. For inspiration, check out our recommended tools for smart home development from Silicon Labs, AWS, and TE Connectivity (chart below).
Recommended Tools for Smart Home Development
• Silicon Labs Bluetooth 5.2: BG22 Thunderboard, SLTB010A
• Silicon Labs Z-Wave: Z-Wave 700 Dev Kit SLWSTK6050A
• Silicon Labs Bluetooth, Zigbee, Thread: Zigbee & Thread Dev Kit SLWSTK6006A
• Silicon Labs Bluetooth 5, Z-Wave, Zigbee/Thread: SENTIMATE
• TE Connectivity PTH Combination Digital Sensor: MS860702BA01-50
• TE Connectivity low profile, gel-filled, ultra-compact watertight pressure sensor: MS860702BA01-50
• AWS IoT Core: AWS managed cloud service that lets connected devices easily and securely interact with cloud applications and other devices.
• AWS Free RTOS: AWS Free RTOS is an open source, real-time operating system for microcontrollers that makes small, low-power edge devices easy to program, deploy, secure, connect, and manage.
For full product details, see [login to view URL]
$3,000 USD First Prize
$1,500 USD Second Prize
$1,000 USD Third Prize
Reports and presentations will be judged based on the following criteria:
• Creativity and disruptiveness of smart home solution idea.
• Thoughtfulness and depth of explanation of the solution.
o What does it do and what problem does it solve? How does it work?
• Feasibility of the solution.
• Integration of sensors, wireless connectivity, and the cloud.
• For your entry to be considered, it must be written in English and delivered in a PDF file format.
SUBMIT YOUR IDEA NOW
Register for the Silicon Labs Works With Smart Home Virtual Conference
The largest smart home event dedicated to training developers how to integrate products with any hub or smart home ecosystem.
September 9-11, 2020
Need remote freelancers for engineering work?
Post a project to ArrowPlus and get connected to a global network of engineering professionals.
[login to view URL]
“Congratulations and thank you for your entry!”
Arrow Electronics, Inc., United States.
Top entries from this contest
nipunaranasingh7 Sri Lanka
markhaywardws United Kingdom
N9SXZ United States
bn22m South Africa